Are you the Costume Society’s new Conference Organisers?
Tuesday, October 17th –Tuesday, October 31st
Are you the Costume Society’s new Conference organisers?
The Costume Society seeks two people to organise our annual conference.
We are the UK’s largest and longest-running fashion and dress history network. We bring together academics, makers, designers, curators, conservators and anyone interested in all aspects of clothing including social history, fashion, uniform and performance costume – past and present, around the globe. Every year, we hold a two-day conference at a venue in the UK. The conference promotes and encourages new scholarship and discussion on themes relating to the Society’s interest. It is also the place where the creations made for the Society’s Patterns of Fashion award are judged and shown to the membership. We are seeking someone to organise the programme of the conference and someone to arrange the conference venue.
Each post comes with a small honorarium.
Conference organiser 1 - content Duties
• Academic lead on the conference theme, sends out call for papers.
• Sets up and liaises with an appropriate panel to approve proposals.
• Determines final programme and communicates with speakers.
• Assembles conference packs and finds chairs for sessions.
• Liaises with venue organiser. • Liaises with the Costume Society’s Communications Sub-Committee for advertisement of programme.
Qualities we seek: • Well organised and efficient. • Some connection with clothing/costume/fashion, ie, design or production, collection or curation, HEFE education, publishing or writing. • Ability to both lead and collaborate. • Knowledge of and previous experience in the activities and/or running of the Society. • Be a current member of the Society.
Conference organiser 2 – venue Duties
• Organises the venue and arranges the hospitality, AV, catering for the conference.
• Visits to potential venues and assessment of suitability, in terms of cost, accessibility etc.
• Determines total cost of event and breakdown of ticket prices.
• Finds sponsorship for the event
• Organises registration and oversees smoothing running of the events each day
• Liaises with venue contacts, conference organiser, Treasurer, bookings coordinator and the Costume Society’s Communication Sub-committee.
Qualities we seek: • Well organised and efficient. • Experience with event organisation. • Ability to both lead and collaborate. • Some connection with clothing/costume/fashion, ie, design or production, collection or curation, HEFE education, publishing or writing is preferable, but not essential. • Be a current member of the Society.
Please e-mail the Costume Society Chair and attach a short CV – firstname.lastname@example.org