The Costume Society seeks a Treasurer
The Costume Society seeks a new Honorary Treasurer/Trustee
The Costume Society seeks a new Honorary Treasurer/Trustee (to replace our long-standing incumbent) to manage our financial affairs. We are the UK’s largest and longest-established fashion and dress history network for a variety of professionals and anyone interested in all aspects of clothing – past and present, around the globe. Our activities include an annual two-day conference plus other events and our academic journal, Costume, published by Edinburgh University Press, also available on our website www.costumesociety.org.uk
We have managed investment funds providing income for our five annual awards, which offer from £500 to £5,000 for research, conservation, curatorial and design-related activities. The Society has recently appointed an Accounts Keeper who makes weekly entries in the Society’s bespoke Excel accounts workbook and is responsible to and works with the Hon. Treasurer.
We seek someone with financial experience to join our Executive Committee to handle the practical aspects of our finances and investment funds, and provide the financial vision that will enable us to expand our charitable activities.
• Maintain the financial affairs of the organisation in accordance with the Costume Society constitution (as one of its trustees).
• Maintain records in accordance with current accounting standards and charities law.
• Notify the trustees of any concerns regarding cash flow or the financial health of the Society.
• Pay invoices authorized by members of the Executive Committee.
• Submit appropriate reports to the Executive Committee meetings and to the AGM
• Prepare annual balance sheet and statements of financial activities
• Submit accounts to independent examiners for audit
• Attend the meetings of the Executive Committee held three times a year (usually late Sept, mid Jan and early May) to report on and discuss financial issues.
• Make trustees and officers aware of their financial obligations and explain financial data to them.
• Advise the Committee on the financial viability of its plans and proposals, including any fundraising and development strategies.
• Monitor bank current cash flow projections & increase/decrease short term deposits.
• Oversee the activities of the Accounts Keeper.
• Submit three annual HMRC online income tax reclaims.
We also require:
• Membership of the Costume Society.
• Experience of financial management and fundraising.
• An ability to communicate financial information clearly.
• Sound financial analysis skills.
• Facility with Excel.
• A reputable security system on your computer.
For any further details and to apply for this position please e-mail the Costume Society (Acting) Chairman attaching a short CV highlighting details relevant to the above.